Saturday, September 11, 2010

Big Trouble at Maramec Spring Park

I’m in trouble. Not in trouble like the time during trapping season when I left 7 whole froze raccoons under a tarp on the floor of the basement to thaw on the same day the real estate folks brought a family from California over to look at the house. While the real estate agent and the whole family were in the basement, who would’ve guessed that the little 5 year-old girl would’ve went strait over to the freezer and pulled back the tarp? I mean really, who could’ve seen that coming? I guess that kid got the shock of her young life (parents did too probably!). I figure they probably had nightmares about a Hillbilly Amityville Horror of sorts, and, of course, they didn’t buy the house. I wasn’t there when it happened but my wife, LaDonna, told me all about it and she wasn’t too happy then either. Yes, I’m in trouble again but this time it’s a different kind of trouble.

This past weekend was my wedding anniversary and my wife and I went camping and fishing at Maramec Spring Park just outside of St. James, MO for the Labor Day weekend. On the morning of our last day, after having some frustrating technical difficulties that brought all my fishing activities to a screeching halt for the remainder of the trip, I came back to the camper, told my wife of the issue, and said, “I’m going to get everything ready to go.” But what she heard was, “Spending time with you on our anniversary is not why I’m here. If I can’t fish then I’m ready to go home.” You reckon this is what the preacher was talking about when he preached on marriage and the occasional communication disconnect?

Maramec Spring Park is owned privately by the James Foundation and located 8 miles from St. James on the Meramec River. Today, just like the past, all activity within the immediate area is a result, either directly or indirectly, of the beautiful Maramec Spring, which is the 5th largest spring in Missouri. Daily it gushes out 96 million gallons of crystal clear Ozark Hill’s spring water. Trout fishing and wildlife watching within the 1,856 acre park is outstanding.

For the anglers, the Missouri Department of Conservation stocks the spring branch with rainbow trout daily from March 1st through October 31st. Ultra light equipment works best for the finicky rainbows in the spring branch. Saturday I was using my Fenwick ultra light rod with an open face Pflueger President reel. For a lure I used a yellow 1/64 ounce jig. All pretty typical equipment for Missouri trout parks…except for the line. Have you ever noticed how there’s always a guy who can walk up during any time of the day and seem to get trout to bite? I learned from my dad and his fishing buddies years ago the trick is in the line. Fish spook as a result of the shadow cast by the line on clear and bright days. Therefore visit any big box department store’s sewing department and ask for transparent sewing thread. This is the equivalent of about ½ pound test line and casts very little shadow (and it’s much cheaper). It works great but be aware to adjust your drag very light! Saturday morning at the whistle the four fish limit took about 10 casts. The rest of the day was given to hiking and wildlife viewing.

For the photographers, white-tail deer abound in the wooded ridges and the lush bottom fields in the park. In the evening the deer come out in great numbers to feed. Picture taking opportunities are everywhere in the early fall before the rut starts. The deer hardly pay attention to stopped vehicles watching them as they feed. They also pay little attention to hikers as long as they keep their distance at about 40 yards. Numerous does and two bucks stood and stared as my wife and I trekked over a ridge just northeast of the spring in the middle of the day on Saturday.

And finally, for the history buffs, the museum and ruins of Meramec Iron Works are located in the middle of the park. Established in 1826 and in production through 1891, the Maramec Iron Works spewed fire, slag, and iron to fuel the fires of industry of our growing republic. The remnants of the works are visible today around the park and the museum provides fascinating models and pictures to help the inquisitive mind understand the complex workings of the Maramec Iron Works.

Fishing, wildlife watching, history, and camping all wrapped into one great weekend. As I sat in camp under the cover of the hackberry, sycamore, and elm trees and enjoyed the cool breeze while contemplating the hot water I was in, I decided my wife was right. Even though I still haven’t figured out how she heard something I didn’t say (I’m beginning to think I was momentarily abducted by aliens and an evil imposter was put in my place to disturb the perfect universal harmony between hillbilly husband and wife on their anniversary camping trip), I shouldn’t want to leave just because I couldn’t fish one morning of our trip. I mean, how great is it that I have a wonderful lady that is willing to go camping and fishing for our anniversary in the first place. Only in these Ozark Hills my friends, only in these hills. We are truly blessed…you think the preacher knows about the alien abductors and the communication disconnect thing? So says the One-Eyed Hillbilly.



My PhotoGreg Stephens is a 35-year veteran & life-time student of the great outdoors. His column appears weekly in print & online publications. You can email him at gregstephens@one-eyedhillbilly.com. For more columns go to www.one-eyedhillbilly.blogspot.com.



1 comment: